Sunday, November 22, 2015

I Almost Bought Cher's Gown, Wish I Had


A storefront opened on Santa Monica Blvd in 1981 (I think) that purported to sell outfits once worn by stars and sure enough I recognized a number of outfits from TV shows and specials dating back to the 1960s, but it was all women's clothing.

There were a half dozen dresses I immediately remembered Cher wearing on the Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, a Bob Mackie creation with loads of glitter caught my eye, one of the iconic gowns from the show, similar to this photo (if not the actual). It was maybe $200.

It came out in the news that most of the clothes had been stolen by household staff, after that the shop closed, it was open only a few weeks. I passed on buying anything, couldn't see myself wearing those dresses, but wish I had now... because imagine what it would be worth!

Also, in a thrift shop on Third Street, I saw Helen Reddy's gold record for 'I Am Woman' up on the wall for about $500. Her husband had run through her entire fortune and she lost everything at auction, this was around 1984.

For more on Cher on TV

No comments:

Post a Comment