Sunday, June 16, 2013

Country Music Shows of the 1960s

Let's listen to some good old country music from television in the 1960s, shall we?

TV on the weekends were crowded with country music shows in the 1960s & 70s, at least in the South where I grew up. I did my best to avoid them but occasionally they were on, there wasn't a lot to choose from, especially on the weekends. Today I enjoy Bluegrass and the old country tunes and love to watch Billy Walker Country Carnival, The Arthur Smith Show, Porter Wagner Show, or any other of those 'corny' shows.

You'll remember Flatt & Scruggs, if for nothing else than penning and performing The Beverly Hillbillies theme song. Here they are doing 'Ruby,' a big Bluegrass hit on the Martha White Show. The 7 year old kid playing Mandolin and singing with them is a young Ricky Skaggs.



Like I said I hated those country shows, but the theme to The Martha White Show grabbed me for some reason. What's not to like... it was performed by Flatt & Scruggs. "Martha White self-risin' flower with Hot Rise Plus..." I never forgot that jingle.



Dolly Parton and Porter Wagner were the Sonny & Cher of the country music world, long before Sonny & Cher conquered TV. Wagner & Parton had a rocky relationship, to say the least, but they had a definite chemistry. Here they are singing 'Run That By Me One More Time.'



Dolly Parton in her early days singing 'If We Never Meet Again' from The Porter Wagner Show in the late-sixties.

More Classic TV at TVparty!

No comments:

Post a Comment